Technical Proj Mgr I
Job ID: req551
Facility: Rockville: 9605 MedCtrDr
Location: 9605 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS, and emerging infectious diseases.
We have the immediate need for an articulate, energetic and focused technical project manager to help develop tools and systems used by cancer researchers, cancer patients and their families and friends.
You will become a team member at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research, managed by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. on behalf of the National Cancer Institute (NCI). It is the only U.S. national laboratory wholly focused on research, technology, and collaboration in the biomedical sciences – working to discover, to innovate, and to improve human health.
Our work is primarily focused on successfully delivering driving software projects both on local servers and on the cloud. The projects involve multiple stakeholders, our own and 3rd party engineering/testing teams. We work very collaboratively with the NCI to define the requirements and deliver a successful project. So we are looking for project managers who embrace and foster collaborative environments, are able to think creatively to solve problems, enjoy communicating in multiple ways, comply with the necessary approval processes and have the discipline to keep track of all the moving parts.
We value continuous improvement and support employees attending conferences and training events throughout the year.
- Be a key leader in a cross-functional team to deliver a successful project
- Create and maintain strong, healthy business relationship with clients and vendors
- Provide proactive communication about project to all relevant stakeholders
- Be able to work independently
- Leverage your technical expertise to benefit the project and client interactions
- Foster and nurture collaborative work environment
- Contribute to requirements gathering and analysis for projects
- Follow established procedures and suggest updates to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of procedures
- Proactively communicate to Project Management Office (PMO) any major issues that are on the horizon and before they are realized
- Know who the product is for, how it will be used and how to use it
- Be accountable for project status
- Be disciplined in generating necessary reports and tracking tasks and issues
- Share lessons learned with the other project managers in the PMO
- Create and maintain standard project management artifacts including WBS, financials, charters, meeting minute documentation, action item tracking, change control registers and risk registers
- Help in the development of estimates for new projects in response to proposals
- Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- A minimum 5 years of experience in progressively responsible project management related.
- A minimum 3 years serving as the Project manager on large scale projects developing distributed software tools or technology for Federal or Commercial customers.
- Demonstrated success in managing software development projects and processes, show evidence of thought and leadership, and have experience working in a highly integrated, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Must demonstrate success in managing software development projects including the ability to initiate and plan a project, execute, control and monitor and close out a project, including skills to develop a technical project with a schedule and budget, successfully execute on the project with continuous risk assessment and mitigation, schedule and budget management, and status reporting.
- Demonstrate gathering requirements from groups unfamiliar with providing or articulating detailed requirements.
- Have worked as a project manager delivering a product.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
- Have experience in working with data from more than clinical study or research project.
- Be familiar with common data elements (CDEs) as used in clinical studies or research projects.
- Experience in life sciences.
- Possession of a Master’s degree or higher in biological sciences (including bioinformatics).
- Experience with working with data models and dealing with complex data structures.
- Experience working in Agile environment.
- Experience as an Applications Specialist or similar client role as part of a sales and/or support team.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks/projects.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in order to work closely with numerous stakeholders from diverse organizations.
- Ability to use Microsoft Project or other project management software to create WBS and track project progress.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Visio.
- Maintaining necessary project artifacts on a shared space, such as a wiki, where stakeholders can self-serve their documentation needs.