Senior Database Programmer
Job ID: req1923
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Rockville: 9605 MedCtrDr
Location: 9605 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it's the FNL way.
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through the discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS and emerging infectious diseases.
The Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS) directorate works collaboratively and helps to fulfill the mission of Frederick National Laboratory in the areas of biomedical informatics and data science by developing and applying world leading data science and computing technologies to basic and applied biomedical research challenges, supporting critical operations, developing and delivering national data resources, and employing leading-edge software and data science.
Within BIDS, the CBIIT Technical Ops Support (CTOS) group implements and manages software projects primarily sponsored by the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Center for Biomedical Informatics and Information Technology (CBIIT). The work is primarily focused on successfully delivering software projects with development on local servers or the cloud. The projects are very diverse, typically merging science and IT, involve multiple stakeholders, and engineering can involve subcontractors. We work very collaboratively with the NCI to define the requirements and deliver a successful project.
The Oracle Clinical Database Administrator/Developer will work on the C3D database team and perform a variety of Clinical database and middle tier administration, upgrade, and maintenance tasks, and also perform development tasks such as development and deployment of Oracle database data structures, development of PL/SQL programs and database-related scripts and programs, maintenance of custom ETL procedures, and data maintenance.
- Administration, upgrade and patch Oracle Clinical Database and middle tiers as per requirements. Operation and maintenance support for C3D database, middle-tier, OC front-end application, and C3D tools such as Data Extract, Data Loader, Metadata Loader, JReview, and SAS data loader
- Create automated ETL processes for importing data using files, API, SFTP, etc.
- Create and maintain complex Oracle PL/SQL and Microsoft T-SQL queries
- Evaluate, design, code, optimize, troubleshoot, and modify Oracle and Microsoft SQL databases
- Create tables, stored procedures, views, triggers, and other database objects
- Tune batch queries for optimum performance
- Work closely with other team members to integrate databases with other applications for ETL and reports
- Analyze business requirements and come up with the optimum design
- Responsible for all aspects of database design, development, and deployment
- Develop and maintain database and application documentation
- Perform limited database administration
- Resolve day-to-day tickets related to missing data, job failures, and additional requests from clients
- Will have a responsibility to work with the BIDS PAO as may be required
- Other duties as required
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in Computer Science, Math or Biomedical Science or a related field or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience
- Oracle database administration
- Oracle Clinical administration
- Writing complex SQL queries
- Oracle PL/SQL Programming
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Oracle Clinical - Proficiency – Intermediate to High
- Oracle database administration – Proficiency High
- Oracle WebLogic Suites - Proficiency High
- PL/SQL and T-SQL - SQL Development – designing, writing, and troubleshooting SQL Code (Stored Procedures, Packages, Functions, Tables, Indexes, file operations) Proficiency - Intermediate to High
- Shell Scripting - Proficiency - Intermediate to High
- Oracle Forms - Proficiency – Low to Intermediate
- Medidata Rave - Proficiency – Low to Intermediate
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)