Research Associate II, Single Cell Analysis Facility
Job ID: req1730
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Location: NIH Campus 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community and provides dedicated support to NCI’s intramural Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The dedicated units provide expertise in electron microscopy, protein characterization, mass spectrometry, protein expression, optical microscopy, and genomics. These research efforts are an integral part of CCR at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR), where CRTP scientists work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to join the Single Cell Analysis Facility (SCAF) of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) at NCI. The SCAF provides support for state-of-the-art single cell sequencing technologies to basic and translational cancer research.
This Research Associate will have a role in
- Performing single cell captures, library preparation, quality control and sequencing
- Helping with experimental design, sample preparation and project troubleshooting
- Working to implement support for advanced single cell methods more efficiently and effectively
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience
- Two (2) years of experience performing cell and molecular biology experiment
- Familiarity with next generation sequencing methods
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience with NextGen library generation, DNA/RNA isolation, and DNA/RNA quantitation
- General cell biology experience, including cell culture, sorting, and counting
- Experience working in a core facility or other team-based environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Knowledge and background experience in cancer biology and immunology
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)