Job ID: req1723
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through the discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS and emerging infectious diseases.
The Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS) directorate works collaboratively and helps to fulfill the mission of Frederick National Laboratory in the areas of biomedical informatics and data science by developing and applying world leading data science and computing technologies to basic and applied biomedical research challenges, supporting critical operations, developing and delivering national data resources, and employing leading-edge software and data science to effectively enable and advance science.
The Advanced Biomedical Computing Sciences (ABCS), part of BIDS, provides scientific computing, modeling, imaging, and bioinformatics support, engages in scientific consultation and collaboration, and offers training to NCI and NIH scientists and staff. The Data Solutions and Systems Biology (DSSB) group in ABCS strives to streamline and provide innovative solutions for the NCI/NIH community to access and use biological information collected across different sources and formats. Integrating diverse data sources to streamline project requests and analysis workflows, enable disease agnostic access and analysis, variant impact annotation, identifier conversions across species, and merging clinical and research data enabling translation from basic to the goal of precision medicine.
- Working with the development team, implement requirements using clear, maintainable, usable modules
- Document approaches and mechanisms clearly and comprehensively
- Coordinating with QA resources and techniques, ensure that the delivered software is stable and defect-free
- Serve as a liaison between application developers and server administrators
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in Computer Science, Math or Biomedical Science or a related field or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the educational requirements, a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible experience
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more contemporary programming languages, such as:
- Expertise with at least one SQL/NoSQL databases, such as:
- Experience in ALM, and using and administering VCS such as git, TFS or SVN
- Experience with the Unix/Linux environment
- Experience with application management and security compliance
- Familiarity with different operating systems such as Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat Linux
- Able to create and reuse modular code, and identify candidates for encapsulation, modularization and reuse by analyzing existing artifacts
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies according to the changing needs of the project and organization
- Ability to self-direct with little or abstract day-to-day instruction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills/ability to document and communicate complex technical concepts for a variety of audiences
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience in managing and supporting complex scientific applications
- Understanding of DevOps tools and technologies
- Experience with implementing biomedical workflows in the cloud
- Experience with application and database migrations in a secure environment
- Experience with high performance computing environments
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)