Jr. Web Applications Developer
Job ID: req1722
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through the discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS and emerging infectious diseases.
The Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS) directorate works collaboratively and helps to fulfill the mission of Frederick National Laboratory in the areas of biomedical informatics and data science by developing and applying world leading data science and computing technologies to basic and applied biomedical research challenges, supporting critical operations, developing and delivering national data resources, and employing leading-edge software and data science to effectively enable and advance science.
The Advanced Biomedical Computing Sciences (ABCS), part of BIDS, provides scientific computing, modeling, imaging, and bioinformatics support, engages in scientific consultation and collaboration, and offers training to NCI and NIH scientists and staff. The Data Solutions and Systems Biology (DSSB) group in ABCS strives to streamline and provide innovative solutions for the NCI/NIH community to access and use biological information collected across different sources and formats. Integrating diverse data sources to streamline project requests and analysis workflows, enable disease agnostic access and analysis, variant impact annotation, identifier conversions across species, and merging clinical and research data enabling translation from basic to the goal of precision medicine.
Assists with design and development for web applications. Performs coding, debugging, testing, troubleshooting, documentation and other associated tasks as needed throughout the web application development lifecycle process. Normally receives instructions for routine work and general instructions on new assignment; work independently with supervision as well as part of a team. Must be a responsible, reliable self-starter who is willing to accept responsibility and is accountable.
- Assist in design, develop and administer web sites and web applications
- Perform aspects of site design including requirements analysis, user interface design, testing, verification and maintenance
- Responsible for ensuring the reliability, and accuracy of all custom developed applications
- Develops and maintains program code in adherence to established coding standards
- Manage and maintain code repository
- Report project status regularly to management
- Monitor application day-to-day performance and perform program tuning as needed
Candidates selected for interview will be requested to provide samples of code snippets and present a demonstration of code knowledge and practice.
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- No work experience required with a Bachelor's degree
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- A minimum of one (1) year related experience
- Familiarity with application architectures and framework environments
- Knowledge in open-source libraries: Laravel, Bootstrap, Slim, Twig, jQuery
- Familiarity with MVC, OOP
- Experience in Linux systems (i.e. Apache, Nginx environments)
- Knowledge of Section 508 accessibility and compliance requirements
- Self-starter, motivated toward success
- Knowledge of multiple languages (i.e. .NET, Python, Java, C)
- Understanding of development processes
- Familiarity in open-source CMS: Wordpress, Drupal
- Able to demonstrate design and development best practices, including security
- Basic knowledge of SQL and Database model design
- Ability to identify and resolve cross browser and cross platform compatibility issues
- Develop interface design and architecture of a website using a variety of graphics and web authoring tools
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)