Bioinformatics Analyst IV
Job ID: req1596
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Rockville: 9605 MedCtrDr
Location: 9605 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through the discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS and emerging infectious diseases.
The Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS) Directorate works collaboratively and helps to fulfill the Frederick National Laboratory’s mission in the areas of biomedical informatics and data science by developing and applying world-leading data science and computing technologies to basic and applied biomedical research challenges, supporting critical operations, developing and delivering national data resources, and employing leading-edge software and data science to enable and advance clinical trials.
The BIDS Strategic and Data Science Initiatives Group has been established within the BIDS directorate to undertake key initiatives and establish new collaborations in computing and data science to address cancer challenges and accelerate cancer research. A key focus of this group is to provide secure and robust data management and data modeling platforms and services for scientific data in accordance with FAIR data principles supporting an increasing level of analysis for the ever-expanding collection of scientific datasets.
- Deliver enterprise software for data service platforms. Define and implement new data service APIs and capabilities
- Perform design, development, integration and deployment using agreed upon standards and tools
- Participate in code reviews and sprint retrospectives
- Collaborate with Business Analysts and SMEs to help drive business value into solution designs
- Maintain high standards of software quality while delivering solutions on-time and within budget
- Research and evaluate software products and development tools
- Troubleshoot production issues
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in computer science, information systems or a related field or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, etc.
- Experience in the design, development and testing of software in a production environment
- Proficient programming skills with Python or Java
- Proficient in Linux. Experience with shell scripting
- Experience with web UI libraries and frameworks e.g. JQuery, Ajax
- Familiarity with data interchange formats e.g. JSON, XML
- Experience with Source Control systems e.g., Github, SVN
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently to achieve desired goals based on a broad description of the issues and clear definition of the required outcome
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Possession of a Masters’ degree
- Experienced in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Experience with data and metadata management systems handling big data
- Experience with object storage technologies e.g. Amazon S3
- Experience with RESTful web services
- Familiarity with RDBMS e.g. Oracle, Postgres
- Knowledge of scientific workflows
- Experience with continuous integration tools e.g. Jenkins, Travis
- Ability to work with ease in a fast paced, agile environment
- Self-motivated and result-oriented, able to handle multiple simultaneous projects efficiently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)