Research Associate I
Job ID: req1538
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Location: NIH Campus 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNL) is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by the prime contractor Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. FNL is responsible for pursuing a unique mission in translational and applied biomedical research that is unsuitable for academia, the pharmaceutical industry, or other federal contractors. This position will join the PK/PD specimen collection group located on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.
The PK/PD specimen collection group supports the NCI Developmental Therapeutics Clinic by providing specimen collection and processing support for investigational trials at the NIH Clinical Center.
- Serve as a member of the Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) support group that provides 24/7 support for novel clinical trials in oncology
- Handle (i.e., pickup, label, transport, process, distribute, track, etc.) research specimens for the DCTD research team including blood and human tissue per protocol instructions
- Maintain detailed records of all clinical samples in compliance with HIPPA requirements
- Communicate with various parties at the NIH, Frederick campus and various collaborative sites to keep them informed of time sensitive specimens
- Perform laboratory procedures that include, plasma separation, PBMC isolation, tissue fixing, cell counting and cell enrichment
- Ship frozen and fresh samples as needed to various groups inside and outside the NCI
- Cover occasional late night and weekend sampling as needed to maintain 24/7 sample coverage
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a field related to biomedical research/scientific discipline or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of related biomedical work experience
- Laboratory experience in a clinical research setting, including experience performing basic laboratory techniques with patient specimens: pipetting, centrifuge use, balance use, etc.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with both clinical and laboratory staff
- Experience processing blood and/or other body fluids
- Experience abiding by good clinical practice regulations
- Demonstrated proficiency working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and strong general computer skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience with clinical trials and other protocol driven clinical research
- Experience with laboratory quality control/quality assurance processes
- Experience using an electronic inventory system to track specimens
- Participation in CLIA certification process
- Experience with specimen processing from multiple, simultaneous clinical trials
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
- This position is subject to the environmental conditions such as working outdoors, high humidity areas indoors, dampness and chilling, dry atmospheric conditions, etc. as part of the job
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)