Oracle Database Developer/Programmer
Job ID: req1531
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Information Technology Support (ITS) group provides computer support, including operations, technical support services, and software development, to the Developmental Therapeutics Program (DTP) of the NCI Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD). The ITS provides core services, including data acquisition within the laboratories, data analysis, and web publication of experimental results. Computer support is provided for many functions including: identifying and scheduling compounds to test, preparing and handling the compounds, performing the experiments, and analyzing experimental results for activity. Support also includes the administration of over 100 servers. System consultation and support to the various software developers and scientists who use the system are also provided.
DTP manages 20-40 systems housing decades of annotated data including chemical structures, patient derived models and screening results. There are opportunities to add connectivity between multiple databases and to bridge to other data sources in order to develop strong analytical and data mining tools that enable new therapeutics discovery and development. This position will help modernize, integrate and combine querying of chemical, genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic and other datasets to advance treatments for cancers via a web-based dashboard that will support complex querying thereby allowing scientist and the scientific community to view and analyze the results of such queries.
- Perform design and development of Oracle applications according to project requirements
- Design, code, and maintain the Oracle systems so that they match with the established standards
- Understand project requirements and develop design specifications
- Perform initial design reviews and suggest improvements, if required
- Write clear code and prepare various documentations
- Provide technical assistance to other developers as needed
- Analyze and troubleshoot system issues
- Develop Oracle reports, database procedures and UNIX shell scripts
- Modify existing codes to optimize Oracle applications
- Assist in system integration and acceptance testing and fix the bugs
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a field related to biomedical research/scientific discipline or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to educational requirements, a minimum of 5 years related experience
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Oracle database management
- Writing complex SQL queries
- PL/SQL Programming
- Basic understanding of biological / chemical systems
- Experience working with complex relational database systems and models
- Experience with data access optimization
- Able to create tables, views, indexes, constraints, materialized views, stored procedures, etc.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- In depth PL/SQL programming expertise
- Working knowledge of Java programming language
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)