Research Associate I - Protein Purification
Job ID: req1494
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Clinical Services Program's primary mission is to perform sequential studies of immune function in patients with cancer, AIDS, chronic granulomatous disease or other diseases associated with immunologic dysfunction, as well as to monitor viral load in patients with HIV.
The Vaccine, Immunity and Cancer Program investigates immune responses to vaccines in preclinical and clinical studies, with a focus on HPV.
The Research Associate I will:
- Optimize and validate procedures and methodologies for assessment of immunogenicity of T and B cell responses in mouse in vivo systems
- Plan and conduct experiments in mouse vaccine models
- Perform immunological assays that may include ELISA, ELISPOT, Luminex assays, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry
- Design and implement protocols, with limited supervision, as well as troubleshoot assays independently
- Evaluate, analyze, and compile data, and maintain databases
- Be responsible for routine QC/QA procedures, ordering supplies, and maintaining equipment, inventories, and lab environment
- Prepare reports, present data, and participate in manuscript and proposal preparation
- Remain current on literature and relevant laboratory techniques.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education)
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of two (2) years of laboratory bench experience
- Experience in immunological assays that may include ELISA, ELISPOT, Luminex assays, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry
- Experience with protein production and purification
- Experience in operating under QC procedures
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience with assay development and QC optimization
- Experience in preclinical/clinical research of vaccines/biologics
- Knowledge of or experience with tumor immunology and vaccines
- Master's Degree
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)