Job ID: req1461
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Information Technology Operations Group, part of Enterprise Information Technology, is responsible for information technology infrastructure, including high performance computing, enterprise storage and advanced telecommunications at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research.
As a Frederick National Labs for Cancer Research (FNLCR) Infrastructure Cloud Engineer, you will provide technical leadership and be responsible for establishing the direction for the IT cloud architecture, standards, design and implementation approaches for the FNLCR application systems and/or infrastructure hosted in the cloud. Creates, evaluates and implements plans and design proposals for high impact IT solutions and their use involving leading edge cloud technologies and methods considering key factors such as their long-term effectiveness (service delivery and cost), practicality, technical limitations and criticality. Leads or contributes to cloud designs applied to all aspects of business systems and/or infrastructure prototypes and eventual implementation. Performs work of high complexity and derives logical processes based on cloud platforms. Engages in performance/integration testing, problem analysis, business and technical analysis. Possesses broad and deep cloud skills across disciplines, serving as a mentor to others.
- Deliver cloud and hybrid cloud architecture designs to successfully meet the strategic needs of the company and assist in modernizing efforts, integrating existing policies, procedures and standards
- Offer guidance in application migration from on-prem data centers to AWS Cloud with related AWS cloud services
- Translate organizational level business requirements and use cases into architectural capabilities verified to meet the requirements
- Design cloud provider independent architecture models that map business services to cloud application stacks
- Continuously manage, monitor, and update architecture models as business needs evolve and additional cloud services become available
- Assist product owners, solution architects, and application architects in designing scalable, highly available, secure, cost-effective solutions that leverage cloud and hybrid services
- Nurture cloud computing expertise internally to drive our core DevOps and cloud philosophies
- Ensure compliance with the change control process and Architecture Standardization
- Writing and maintaining clear documentation about system architecture, release and implementation plans, and develop and maintain internal documentation
- Be a collaborative team player to define, design, develop, test, deploy, and support cloud solutions
- Actively communicate with your manager and team
- Bring creative and innovative thinking to your work
- Manage your project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Possession of an Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a related field (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- A minimum of five (5) years of proven hands on experience working with cloud-based technologies, AWS, Azure and Google
- Expert in AWS cloud services such as EC2, CloudFront, Lambda, IAM, S3, etc.
- Strong understanding of cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, network, data, and applications) to deliver end-to-end cloud Infrastructure architectures, designs and recommendations
- Proficient with cloud technologies such as CloudFormation and Terraform to automate deployments
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to estimate time and tasks necessary to complete a project
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Understands and can articulate the technical ideas to non-technical people
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect– Professional
- 5+ years' experience designing, executing and supporting AWS Cloud with hands-on experience
- 5+ years' experience with Infrastructure & Application architecting in AWS Cloud including IaaS, PaaS and SaaS
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)