Senior Natural Products Scientist
Job ID: req1393
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNL) is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by the prime contractor Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. FNL is responsible for pursuing a unique mission in translational and applied biomedical research that is unsuitable for academia, the pharmaceutical industry, or other federal contractors. This open position in is ideally suited for a scientist who is interested in applied Research & Development. The selected candidate will join the Natural Products Support Group located at the NCI-Frederick campus.
The Natural Products Support Group provides scientific and technical support to the Developmental Therapeutics Program (DTP) of the NCI Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD). The group is comprised of several laboratories responsible for various natural product-based support activities including extraction of plant, microbial, and marine biota; pre-fractionation of natural product extracts; isolation and identification of biologically active natural products; preforming cryopreservations and microbial fermentations; and in-vitro and in-vivo drug preparations.
- Performing a wide range of scientific support studies, with an increasing emphasis in the area of microbial secondary metabolites
- Expanding the laboratory’s research program focused on the fungal isolate collection including methods development for the fermentation and extraction of fungal cultures, as well as the isolation of biologically active natural products
- Generating reports and publications in the areas of isolation and structural elucidation of natural products from marine, microbial, and plant sources using state of the art techniques
- Maintaining chemistry laboratory instrumentation, including liquid chromatography systems, mass spectrometers, and an NMR spectrometer
- Serving as a co-manager of the Natural Products Support Group
- Possession of a Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university in chemistry or a related discipline (foreign degrees will be evaluated for U.S. equivalency)
- Minimum of five (5) years post-graduate experience of competent, innovative research in the field of specialty
- Training and publications in the area of microbial natural products
- Knowledge of fungal identification and fermentation techniques as well as extraction and isolation of secondary metabolites from fungi
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art separation technologies for complex natural product extracts
- Previous experience in supervision of technical laboratory personnel
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge and experience with the screening of natural product extracts for bioactivity, especially high throughput screening of prefractionated natural product libraries
- Knowledge of epigenetic processes for induction and isolation of microbial secondary metabolites.
- Knowledge of natural product biosynthetic pathways
- Experience in handling large data sample sets and merging various data streams from various sources
- This position is subject to the environmental conditions such as working outdoors, high humidity areas indoors, dampness and chilling, dry atmospheric conditions, etc. as part of the job
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)