Nanotechnology Formulation Scientist II
Job ID: req1381
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: ATRF: Other
Location: 8560 Progress Drive, Frederick, MD 21701 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community. A major focus of the CRTP is the NCI RAS Initiative with the goal to discover new therapeutic interventions against RAS-driven cancers. In addition, the CRTP hosts the Nanotechnology Characterization Laboratory (NCL) which performs and standardizes preclinical efficacy and toxicity testing of nanoparticles intended for cancer therapeutics and diagnostics, and the Antibody Characterization Lab (ACL) which characterizes monoclonal antibodies or other renewable affinity binding reagents for use in cancer related research. CRTP scientists also work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
- Nanomedicine drug formulation, including targeted nanotechnology constructs or macromolecular prodrug systems
- Characterization of nanoscale drug formulations
- Ph.D. in chemistry, material science, pharmaceutical science, or a related discipline
- A minimum of two (2) years related experience
- Extensive synthetic and polymer chemistry experience
- Experience in nanomedicine drug formulation (e.g., polymeric, lipidic, micelle, liposome, metallic)
- Experience in Nanomedicine characterization by drug loading, drug release, NMR, TEM/SEM, DSC, XRD, SEC/GPC, MALS, IR, DLS/Zetasizer, LC-MS, LC-UV, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Record of publication in peer reviewed journals
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Basic understanding of pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism
- Basic understanding of drug development and regulatory science
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
- This position is subject to working with radioactive material and requires to become an approved
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)