Job ID: req1277
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: ATRF: Other
Location: 8560 Progress Drive, Frederick, MD 21701 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public’s interest.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community. A major focus of the CRTP is the NCI RAS Initiative with the goal to discover new therapeutic interventions against RAS-driven cancers. In addition, the CRTP hosts the Nanotechnology Characterization Laboratory (NCL) which performs and standardizes preclinical efficacy and toxicity testing of nanoparticles intended for cancer therapeutics and diagnostics, and the Antibody Characterization Lab (ACL) which characterizes monoclonal antibodies or other renewable affinity binding reagents for use in cancer related research. CRTP scientists also work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
The Protein Expression Laboratory (PEL) provides support to the NCI RAS Initiative in the generation of high quality protein reagents for biochemical, biophysical, structural, and drug discovery research. The PEL creates expression constructs, expresses the encoded recombinant proteins in multiple expression systems, and purifies the recombinant proteins for use in a wide variety of applications from X-ray crystallography to drug screening to biochemical analysis. The Protein Expression Associate will:
- Carry out experiments, under the review of a scientist, in the areas of prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expression
- Implement molecular biology processes for the generation of purified proteins
- Carry out bacterial fermentation using bioreactors
- Perform microscale protein purification scouting and cell lysis procedures
- Troubleshoot current processes within the laboratory with an eye towards process improvement
- Provide timely updates of project progress to supervisor and other staff in both informal and formal reports
- Maintain detailed records of all laboratory processes and procedures for quality assurance purposes
- Possession of a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines
- Previous experience in prokaryotic protein expression
- Ability to handle multiple scientific projects with a high degree of accuracy
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
- Prior experience in bacterial expression using baffled shake flasks
- Experience in bacterial fermentation using bioreactors
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)