Senior Software Engineer
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: Rockville: 9605 MedCtrDr
Location: 9605 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 USA
Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development
Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most
urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS,
drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology
in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication,
integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every
day in serving the public’s interest.
The mission of the Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (BIDS) directorate is to leverage leading-edge data science, informatics and information technology skills and capabilities to provide the world-class tools and services to accelerate translation of biomedical data to scientific discoveries, medical treatments, and diagnostic and prevention innovations for cancer and AIDS patients.
The BIDS Strategic and Data Science Initiatives Group has been established within the BIDS directorate to undertake key initiatives and establish new collaborations in computing and data science to address cancer challenges and accelerate cancer research. A key focus of this group is to provide secure and robust data management platforms and services for scientific data in accordance with FAIR data principles supporting an increasing level of analysis for the ever-expanding collection of scientific datasets.
This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Frederick National Laboratory that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at FNL.
Senior Software Engineer:
- Deliver enterprise software for data service platforms. Define and implement new data service APIs and capabilities.
- Perform design, development, integration and deployment using agreed upon standards and tools.
- Participate in code reviews and sprint retrospectives.
- Collaborate with Business Analysts and SMEs to help drive business value into solution designs.
- Maintain high standards of software quality while delivering solutions on-time and within budget.
- Research and evaluate software products and development tools.
- Troubleshoot production issues.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or a related field from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Experience in the design, development and testing of enterprise applications in a production environment. Solid programming skills with Java/J2EE.
- Experience with MVC frameworks e.g. Spring.
- Proficient in RDBMS e.g. Oracle, Postgres. Experienced in ORM frameworks e.g. Hibernate.
- Experience with web UI libraries and frameworks e.g. JQuery, Ajax.
- Experience with RESTful web services.
- Experience with Linux.
- Familiarity with data interchange formats e.g. JSON, XML.
- Experience with Source Control systems e.g., Github, SVN.
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling and optimization.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Possession of a Master’s degree
- Experience with data and metadata management systems handling big data.
- Experience with object storage technologies e.g. Cleversafe, Amazon S3.
- Experience with Python and shell scripting.
- Knowledge of scientific workflows.
- Experience with continuous integration tools e.g. Jenkins, Travis.
Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug
Free Workplace (DFW)