Animal Caretaker I
Employee Type: nonexempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development
Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by
Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most
urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS,
drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology
in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication,
integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every
day in serving the public’s interest.
The Laboratory Animal Sciences Program (LASP) provides exceptional quality animal care and technical support services for animal research performed at the National Cancer Institute at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research. LASP executes this mission by providing a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art technologies and services that are focused on the design, generation, characterization and application of genetically engineered and biological animal models of human disease, which are aimed at the development of targeted diagnostics and therapies. LASP contributes to advancing human health, developing new treatments, and improving existing treatments for cancer and other diseases while ensuring safe and humane treatment of animals.
- Variety of routine tasks associated with the general laboratory animal care in biomedical research
- Feeding and housing laboratory animals
- General laboratory animal housekeeping
- Cleaning tasks associated with the upkeep of a research animal facility
- Ordering and stocking supplies
- Keeping simple records
- Utilizing computer skills for email, training, and basic data entry
- Operate automatic washing and cleaning equipment
- Work schedule may include weekend and holiday hours
- Requires an 8th grade education or higher
- Ability to keep basic records
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and wear respiratory protective equipment as necessary
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Ability to handle laboratory animals
- Ability to multi-task
- Eagerness to learn new skills
- Excellent organization and observation skills
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s).
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations.
- This position is subject to atmospheric conditions that would require the usage of a respirator, requiring a medical clearance.
- This position is subject to working in or have the potential to exposure to high noise levels for extended periods of time requiring medical clearance.
- This position is subject to the environmental conditions such as working outdoors, high humidity areas indoors, dampness and chilling, dry atmospheric conditions, etc. as part of the job.
Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug
Free Workplace (DFW)