Job ID: req1112
Facility: Chicago IL
Location: 5454 South Shore Drive, Suite 2A/B, Chicago, IL 60615 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS, and emerging infectious diseases.
THIS POSITION HAS A TERM OF APPROXIMATELY 1 YEAR AND WILL BE PAYROLLED THRU AN OUTSIDE AGENCY – MAY RESULT IN FULL TIME POSITION AT END THE 1 YEAR TERM WITH THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
100% TELECOMMUTE – WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND ONSITE MEETINGS IN SUBURBAN CHICAGO AREA – MUST LIVE IN OR BE WILLING TO RELOCATE AT OWN EXPENSE TO THE CHICAGO AREA
As a Senior Bioinformatician, working on the NCI Genomic Data Commons, you will design and implement bioinformatics services for this innovative data sharing platform developed for cancer research. The Senior Bioinformatician will lead data import and analysis, data quality, and data generation aspects and work hands-on to develop pipelines and tools, including support for high-throughput genomic technologies.
- Develop, execute, test, and roll out bioinformatics solutions.
- Investigate, devise, and modify procedures to solve complex problems at a highly technical level across all phases of bioinformatics support activities.
- Contribute to technical and scientific discussions on infrastructure, technologies, platforms, and framework needs.
- Develop technical diagrams, and timelines escalating key decisions to senior management and stakeholders.
- Doctoral degree in Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in the field of bioinformatics required.
- Experience in the bioinformatics of Next Generation sequencing technologies required.
- Experience using languages such as Java, Python, SQL, or XML, required.
- Familiarity with Linux and/or Unix required.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology required.
- Basic knowledge of statistics required.
- Experience in employing high performance computing to solve parallelizable compute problems preferred.
- Experience providing bioinformatics services or other service roles preferred.
- Experience with human genomics preferred.
- Advanced knowledge in bioinformatics required.
- Advanced knowledge of high-throughput genomic technologies required.
- Advanced knowledge of modern programming and/or scripting languages such as Python required.
- Knowledge of genomic pipelines and associated tools required.
- Advanced analytical skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)