Job ID: req1034
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
PO Box B
Frederick, Maryland, 21702
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS, and emerging infectious diseases.
The Basic Science Program (BSP) pursues independent, multidisciplinary research programs in basic or applied molecular biology, immunology, retro-virology, cancer biology or human genetics. Research efforts and support are an integral part of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR). BSP provides procurement and logistical assistance in support of the research activities of the CCR. Operating as a component of the BSP, the Central Glassware Service performs the daily pick up, washing, sterilizing and delivery of laboratory related items and glassware to research facilities located at the FNLCR.
- Picks up soiled glassware items from laboratories, plastic tanks containing disinfectant
- Processes dirty glassware by machine washing, drying and sterilizing in a central kitchen facility
- Restocks laboratory glassware cabinets with appropriate quantities of standard laboratory glassware
- Maintains inventories of standard laboratory glassware for investigators and reevaluates daily requirements as necessary
- Maintains inventories of standard glassware reserves in the kitchen
- Performs soap residue indicator test on washed glassware
- Assists in processing glassware of absent coworkers
- Works/Trains in other glassware kitchens as required
- Daily interaction with lab staff
- Performs general housekeeping duties
- This position may be designated as a Primary Driver and will be responsible for complying with the Leidos Biomedical Use of Government Owned or Leased Vehicles Policy
- Performs other related duties as assigned by a responsible authority
Apply established laboratory glassware preparation techniques; properly use industrial washing, drying, and sterilizing equipment; maintain accurate cabinet inventories and determine the necessity for re-evaluating laboratory requirements; process special laboratory items as required; distinguish different items of standard laboratory glassware; perform simple technical procedure to determine the presence of soap residue on glassware and make simple observations; prepare disinfectant solution in soak tanks at the proper concentrations. Metric system for distinguishing different sizes of standard laboratory glassware; routine items of laboratory glassware; comprehensive reading, writing skills and arithmetic. Record keeping procedures, use of appropriate cleaning compounds and methods according to specific processing requirements; equipment operation such as wash/rinse cycle times and purposes, sterilization temperatures and times; proper use and interpretation of the soap residue indicator. Ability to comprehend and apply the CGS SOP.
- Possession of an eighth grade education or higher
- Minimum of one year of general/support level work experience in any field
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license issued by the state in which the incumbent/candidate resides
Must have a clean driving record
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. and wear personal protective equipment
- Ability to work effectively within a team atmosphere as well as individually
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Possession of high school diploma or equivalent
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material,
requiring medical clearance and immunizations.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) |Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)