Drug Discovery Data Scientist
Job ID: JR94-SCI123
Facility: San Francisco CA
Location: 499 Illinois St, San Francisco, CA 94158 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is dedicated to improving human health through discovery and innovation in the biomedical sciences, focusing on cancer, AIDS, and emerging infectious diseases.
The mission of the Biomedical Informatics and Data Science Directorate (BIDS) is to leverage leading-edge data science and information technology skills and capabilities to provide the best tools and services to accelerate translation of biomedical data to scientific discoveries, medical treatments, and diagnostic and prevention tools for cancer and AIDS patients. Frederick National Laboratory is hiring a Drug Discovery Data Scientist to work in computationally-driven cancer drug discovery as part of the ATOM Consortium.
- Use and/or develop machine learning packages to train, deploy and interpret various algorithms such as random forests and deep neural networks
- Develop and implement methods to assess the predictivity and uncertainty of such models
- Be able to work independently as part of a multi-disciplinary team to support the ATOM Consortium scientific and technical goals
- Create and maintain strong professional relationships with all ATOM stakeholders
- Foster and nurture collaborative work environment
- Position will be onsite in San Francisco, CA
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math or Biomedical Science related field from an accredited college or university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- In addition to the educational requirements a minimum of six (6) years of related experience OR possession of a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Math or Biomedical Science related field from an accredited college or university plus minimum of 4 years related experience.
- Experience in data-driven modeling required
- Familiarity with large datasets, handling of biomedical datasets and understanding of data analysis workflows is required
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Experience with Tensor Flow, Keras or similar deep learning packages
- Experience with active learning
- Experience with complex chemical and/or biological data sets
- Experience with collaborative programming projects
- Familiarity with drug discovery and/or cancer biology
- 1-year experience in a leadership capacity
- Proficiency with Python or similar programming language(s)
- Analytical approach to defining scientific questions/design of scientifically testable hypotheses
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks/projects
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)